In a press conference on Tuesday, Sept. 19, District Attorney Hillar Moore stated that Kenneth Gleason, 25, has been arrested again and will be charged for the killings of two black men, Bruce Cofield, 59 and Donald Smart, 49.
Gleason, who was booked Sunday for possession of marijuana after detectives searched his home on Saturday, Sept. 15, was released on bail the same night after being suspected of the fatal shootings of Bruce Cofield and Donald Smart, both killed within five miles of each other.
Moore claimed that the evidence released that ensured his indictment this time was DNA results found on the shell casings found at the scene of the shooting of Smart on Sept. 15.
Moore commends the crime lab for working quickly and diligently on this case. “To find DNA on expended shell casings is just something that doesn’t usually happen,” said Moore. The Crime Lab is waiting for further results from additional DNA samples.
Sheriff Sid Geautreaux also praised all active agencies for quickly resolving the case. “This is a perfect example of what collaboration and cooperation can do when we are trying to fight crime,” said Geautraux.
While they are currently unaware of any possible motives for Gleason to commit the crime, Moore assures that the death penalty will strongly be considered in Gleason’s sentencing.
- Nov. 9, 2016 – The defendant bought a 9mm gun on Nov. 9, 2016
- July 2017 – Gleason purchased a silencer.
- Aug. 5, 2017 – Gleason completed a concealed carry permit class. He has yet to receive the permit.
- Sept. 11, 2017 – Shell casings were discovered at Sandy Ridge Dr. after a shooting, where no one was injured. Later that day, a Jiffy Lube employee gave a description of a white male in a red car hiding a weapon behind bushes.
- Sept. 12, 2017 – Jiffy Lube provided a video of white male with red car tampering with his license plate. Later, Cofield was killed, and witnesses gave a description of a white male wearing tactical gear.
- Sept. 13, 2017 – Books-A-Million reported theft of popular book, “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy”.
- Sept. 14, 2017 – Donald Smart is killed. Witnesses provide a description of white male in a red car.
- Sept. 15, 2017 – Shell casings were recovered from the scene of Smart’s death. National Integrated Ballistics Network (NIBIN) confirms that the two shots from both killings were shot from the same weapon. Baton Rouge Police Department (BRPD) recovered video from Customs Security that showed a red car with an American flag bumper sticker and dent on left of bumper. A white male was seen putting duck tape over license plate.
- Sept. 16 2017 – BRPD spoted the vehicle and stops the driver, who is Gleason. The image retrieved from BRPD’s dash camera showed red car with an American flag and dent in left side of bumper. Gleason is taken into custody.
- Sept. 17, 2017 – Gleason was released after posting bail.
- Sept. 18, 2017 – Louisiana State Police Crime Lab released DNA results of DNA recovered from shell casings found on Alaska St. at the scene of the shooting of Smart that matched swab samples from Gleason.