If you have plans for any 2017 Southern University homecoming activities over the weekend, so does the weather. Tropical Storm Nate’s probable track is projecting that the storm will make landfall as a hurricane along the gulf coast. This means keeping our people, families, and communities prepared, vigilant, and safe. Watch this space for any updates released by the Southern University school system that may impact your 2017 homecoming plans. Please keep watch to other weather reporting platforms for updates and alerts as things may change:
Here’s what you need to know:
- The 2017 Southern University Homecoming parade has been postponed (new update: date to be announced).
- Kickoff for Saturday’s football game against Alabama A&M has been moved up to 1 p.m. at A.W. Mumford Stadium ( Fans can buy tickets from 9 a.m. until the start of the third quarter. )
- Campus tailgating lots will open at 6 a.m. Saturday. The stadium gates will open at 10:30 a.m.
- Postponed: Sunday’s SWAC home soccer match against Alcorn State until further notice
- Postponed: SWAC volleyball contest against Grambling State until further notice
Links to Get Prepared
- Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness http://www.gohsep.la.gov/
- Get a Game Plan (GOHSEP) http://www.getagameplan.org/
- National Hurricane Center http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
A Lite Preparedness Checklist:
- Water – one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food – at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Charged electronic devices, including cell phone ( charge a backup battery/power pack)
- At least a week’s worth of prescription medications
- Infant formula, wipes, and other baby items
- Personal sanitation supplies
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- check https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit for more tips
All students, faculty, and staff are asked to monitor their University email accounts, the University’s social media sites, and local news to get updates and announcements.