In case you’ve been sleeping under your iPhone 6 for the last few months, it’s September, which means it’s time for a new iPhone release!
I have to admit, every year I say I’m not going to buy the new Iphone, but every year I lie to myself (currently writing this on the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB). This year Apple did something a bit different. They released information on two phones at the same time: the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X. X meaning 10 – I have no idea why they skipped over 9.
The iPhone 8 comes with some decent upgrades, but not enough to get excited about.
- Full Retina HD Display
- Complete glass back and front
- Stereo speakers that are 25% louder than the iPhone 7
- Water & Dust “resistant” – not a real upgrade
- A11 Bionic Sensor for faster processing
- NEW ISP (Image Sensor Processor) for better photos.
- A11 Apple design video encoder for better video quality (4K at 60 fps & 1089p at 240 fps)
- AR Capabilities
- Wireless Charging
- Price – starts at $699
Meanwhile, the iPhone X is on a WHOLE NEW LEVEL.
- Complete 5.8 inch display screen (which is larger than the 7 Plus.) with no home button.
- Super Retina HD Display
- Face ID Recognition ( Unlock your phone using your face)
- Portrait Mode camera on the front and back camera.
- Wide Angle and Telephoto lens.
- Video Upgrades include 4K video recording at 24, 30 or 60 fps.
- Optical image stabilization for video.
- Cinematic Video Stabilization.
- Apple Pay with your iPhone using Face ID.
- Moving (Live) emojis!
- Price – $999
Here are my top 8 reasons I won’t be buying the iPhone 8:
- Cost. If you’re going to pay $700 for a phone with some basic upgrades, you might as well wait for the iPhone X to come available for preorder in October, even though it’s $200 more.
- No dual camera like the iPhone 7 plus. (Wouldn’t this be an obvious upgrade?)
- No portrait mode. (Again,obvious)
- No change in the design. Same basic design as the 7.
- No dope color options.
- No stand out features.
- No reason to buy this phone.
- This phone is just flat out poo.
Here is my synopsis. The iPhone 8 is a good choice to buy if you are upgrading from anything other than an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. If you already have a 7 it’s really not worth it. The iPhone 8 feels more like a 7s. There are no major design, or systemic changes. On the other hand, the iPhone X is pretty much a game changer as far as pushing the boundaries of the front screen for a more immersive experience. The camera upgrades alone are worth it.
If you are an Android user, you might feel like the iPhone X is just a catch up phone to the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and you might be right. But one thing you can’t deny, is Apple knows that presentation matters. The way in which they roll out their products and make every new feature feel new and grandiose is an art form in and of itself. I for one can’t wait to see and feel this phone in person, just to see if it truly lives up to the hype! In my opinion, Apple had to roll this phone out early in order to keep users from jumping over to Android. Apple knows the iPhone 8 is not anything to be excited about. Clearly the message here is, skip the 8, go for the X.